Is a webserver required to run PrivacyIdea in production?

I’m trying to create a docker container from scratch to run privacyidea.

To test the installation, I’ve created an empty Ubuntu 18.04 Virtual Machine and ran through the installation using:
sudo apt-get install privacyidea

I deliberately didn’t use the nginx/apache option, as I’m planning to expose PrivacyIdea through a reverse proxy like Citrix ADC.

Is there any reason to keep PrivacyIdea running behind nginx or Apache?
Or can I just use pi-manage runserver -d <IP> -p 5000?

Hello and welcome to privacyIDEA community.

runserver has only one thread and you can only handle one request at a time. Thus you will very quickly get blocking requests and you will loose requests! In theory it is possible. But it is no no no practical :slight_smile:

Do not do this!

Hi Cornelius,

Thanks for the welcome. Thought it would be better to ask questions here instead of keeping you spammed through Twitter :wink:

So basically, to create our own container:

• Take the ubuntu base image
  • Follow the docs to install through apt-get install privacyidea
  • Use the internal SQLite or setup pi.cfg to refer to an externally running database server
  • Manually configure a webserver to use WSGI/uWSGI
  • Expose that service

My “beef” with apt-get install privacyidea-apache/nginx is that it automatically installs mysql locally as well.
In the documentation you refer to a package privacyidea-mysql but I can’t seem to find it on your repository from NetKnights?!

Cheers,
Jan

There is no need to use the meta package privacyidea-apache2 or privacyidea-nginx.
These are meta packages for the convenience of standalone installations.

Of course you can use your own setup of apache or nginx with your own database.

Additionally to @cornelinux comment the runserver should only be used for development.
The cleanest way to run privacyIDEA with docker would be to use a python base image and install privacyIDEA in the container via pip. Then You can also install gunicorn and run privacyIDEA in the container with

gunicorn "privacyidea.app:create_app()"

Of course the complete configuration and db container must be created/initialized then beforehand.